Sunday, February 23, 2014

This I Believe [About Teaching & Learning]


I want to teach. I want to open the doors of students’ minds and their futures. I want to allow children an opportunity for a future, for an education, for a life. I want to help children find their beliefs, their desires, and their passion in life. I want to help them find their voice, through literature, debate, poetry. I want to model the importance of an education for students. I want to show them just how far a book can take them. I want to show students how a six stanza poem can lead them through life.  I want to teach children how an education can pave the road to the life they want. I want students to write their way to freedom. I want them to know that every line they write is a shot at changing and molding their future. I want them to find happiness in a classroom, a novel, a piece of their writing, and in their own mind. I want students to know their words hold weight and power. I want students to know there is meaning and purpose in everything they learn, even if they don’t see it at first. I want students to draw connections from their lives and bring them into the classroom. I want students to know that their lives are relevant.

I believe that every classroom is a safe haven. I believe a classroom is a community, a family, a nurturing environment. I believe every student has a voice and has power, even if they don’t believe they do. I believe every student needs an advocate. I believe students need the tools to strengthen and hone in on their voice, their opinions, their beliefs, and their power. I believe teachers give students the tools they will use for the rest of their lives. I believe education breaks the chains of oppression. I believe an education is valuable. I believe education is the way to the life you want.

I am against negative comments. I am against disbelief. I will not put my students down. I will not talk down to my students. I will not stand for negativity towards peers within my classroom. I am against oppression. I am against teaching to the book. I am against not bringing students’ lives and experiences into the lesson at hand or the classroom environment. I am against acting better than my students. I am for teaching, molding, and shaping minds. I am for being an advocate for my students. I am for modeling appropriate behavior. I am for being a human being in front of my students, while still maintaining appropriate behavior. I am for using authoritative power in the correct manner.

3 comments:

  1. This is so great -- I love that you named a large number of things you believe in, all of which connect in a very clear way. My favorite line might be "I am against acting better than my students." I think it's so important that our students see us as human beings with FLAWS (gasp). If we're seen as perfect robots who never mess up, then our students will likely get the message that to have flaws is the antithesis of success. Humility will go a long way! Thanks for sharing. :)

    PS: Congratulations on choosing literally the perfect song for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    I love the beginning “I want...I want” since we really hear what YOU want. We hear what YOU think should happen in a classroom and that is beautiful. I think my favorite lines are, “I want to teach children how an education can pave the road to the life they want. I want students to write their way to freedom. I want them to know that every line they write is a shot at changing and molding their future.” Certainly, any one of us can agree with this statement and/or can relate with our own experiences of being or working within a classroom. When we observe/ begin teaching, we need to keep thoughts like these in mind since they are perfect gateways to model teaching. As I mentioned with Cindy, we are helping to enrich young minds that are going to shape our future, and it is such an experience to know we had part in this.
    “I believe that every classroom is a safe haven. I believe a classroom is a community, a family, a nurturing environment.” We, as public servants, have people’s children in our classrooms. We work with them 5 days a week. We need to know our students, know what works for them, and know how to make them comfortable so they may express themselves and learn within our classrooms.
    “I am against oppression” haha, so am I.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and belief with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am against negative comments. I am against disbelief." YES! We need to not let negative Nancys of negative thoughts ever take hold of our classroom. I love how yo focus on the equality of everyone in the classroom including the teacher. I always say I don't know everything but I know how to find it. This is awesome and inspiring and I thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete