Sunday, March 2, 2014

Middle School Week One Reflection


My first week in middle school was amazing! I spent four days with three sixth grade classes.  As I walked to my car on Friday I was immediately looking forward to Monday morning. I was surprised by my time spent in the classroom in that I didn’t expect to enjoy middle school so much. I knew I would enjoy being in a classroom, but I knew that I was a high school girl so what exactly would middle school have to offer me? The answer is a new teaching desire. I LOVED middle school!! These kids were engaged, excited to learn, they were active participators, and they needed their voices to be heard. A large majority of the class did not sink into their seats when the teacher asked them a question—instead excited hands shot up with hopes that it would be their turn to share their thoughts and opinions. These kids were amazing, truly!!

The classes were being taught a lesson on the Greensboro Four, which would finish with a Socratic seminar. The lesson was taught across four classes and began with the students reading an article, followed by watching a short PBS film. The students were being taught to close read the text with highlighting and underlining important facts, circling vocab, and writing in the margins. The students worked through the text together as a class and then broke into two groups to develop ten higher level thinking questions based on Costa’s levels of questioning, which would fuel their Socratic seminar. These students were excited and they had awesome questions. It was exciting to see children actively engaged! From a teacher candidate standpoint, it was also cool to see how the teacher differentiated this lesson among classes. One class was given a slightly different article, and was required to come up with nine questions made up of three level one, three level two, and three level three questions.

Seeing the amount and types of writing these kids did was refreshing. They had awesome writing assignments that I wanted to do: writer’s notebooks, senses poems on the civil rights movements, and six panel comics! I read a lot of their poems and they were amazing writers. Most importantly, they ENJOYED writing. I am so excited for what the next three weeks will bring into my teaching arsenal and into my writerly soul.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying middle school! I completely hear you about the excitement and enthusiasm of the students. The students do their work and seem to be interested in what they are doing. Some references or jokes do tend to go over their heads, but they are fantastic to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy that you're enjoying yourself.

    Your discussion of differentiation among the classes is making me think back on some stuff that I think could have been subtle differentiation on my host teacher's part. I'll have to ask her about it.

    I liked that you looked at the different kinds of assignments students were doing. It's always nice to see a class tackling poetry as something not scary.

    Their enthusiasm for everything is great, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that you are enjoying yourself. It sounds like your classroom is full of a ton of fun and excitement and that your students are really loving learning! It makes me wish a little that I had a sixth grade class during this placement, they seem great. I'm excited to hear more stories!

    ReplyDelete